It is hard to be believe that we are already in the third week of the first nine weeks of our school year as the first week of school zoomed by so quickly! As we look ahead into the month of September, below are some important things to know:
F.Y.I. Enrichment fee for the 2017-18 School Year is $10.00. This fee covers all field trips during the school year. This fee can be paid with check or cash. The fourth grade team is asking that all enrichment fee money be received by Monday, October 2, 2017. Thank you.
Class tee shirts have been ordered and should be arriving shortly. The tee shirts are paid for from our incredible PTA! Mrs. Alonzo's homeroom class color is navy blue.
Progress reports for the first six weeks of school will be going home on Thursday, Sept. 21, 2017. Parents will need to sign the progress report and have your child return it school by Monday, September 25, 2017. 1. About the upcoming P/T Conferences: Please note that I will be conferencing with all parents throughout the weeks of October (not just on Monday, October 9, 2017...which is AISD's official P/T conference day). I will notify you of your conference time around the beginning of October. Please check your child's school mail for conferencing information as we get closer October. This will be written in your child's student planner as well. Please note that this will be a three-way conference between you/your child/ and I.
2. Please remember to help your child learn their multiplication tables from 1-12 over the next few weeks. This will greatly benefit them when they begin studying multiplication with Mrs. Chedsey.
3. Also, please continue to check the student planner for all work assignments and remember to sign the planner everyday if possible. Also, check daily your child's red take home homework folder for school mail, and graded work. Please note that school mail from the PTA and the office administration is sent home on Thursday's. In addition, please make sure to sign your child's yellow expectation chart in the red take home/homework folder. This chart should be signed by a parent over the weekend and returned to school signed on Monday. The Nightly Reading Log is another important paper that should be signed over the weekend and return to school for a reading grade on Monday.
Thank you all so much for all your support for our classroom, the fourth grade, and our wonderful Oak Hill Elementary School!!!
SOME THINGS WE ARE LEARNING IN OUR CLASSROOM THIS MONTH:
1. Reading: We are reading short stories from our Treasurer's basal reader. We are beginning with a realistic fiction story called "My Diary From Here to There". We are studying about story elements (protagonist/antagonist/complications/setting/ character traits/ plots (problem & solutions), and theme. As we proceed through the school year, we will be studying & reading other genre's as well, such as Realistic Fiction, Historical Fiction, Biography, Mystery, Fantasy, Fairy Tales, Dramatic Plays, Poetry and Nonfiction. A test will be given on Friday's over the Treasurer basal reader story of the week and our chapter book. We are also developing a Reading skills interactive spiral notebook for reading. This notebook of skills learned will be a part of our reading curriculum throughout this school year. 2. Writing: We have been discussing our Writer's Workshop expectations as we move into writing short paragraphs and personal narrative compositions. List of ideas written in the Writer's Notebook will be used by the students as a resource for for writing personal narratives and informational nonfiction stories. We are also working on writing complete sentences and using revising & editing tools to proofread and correct any errors made. Spelling list words will be going home for the first time this year the week of August 28th-September 1st. A test over the list words will be given every Friday. Spelling homework will be given Monday through Thursday. We are also developing a Writing skills interactive spiral notebook for writing and an interactive spiral notebook for poetry. These notebooks of skills learned will be a part of our writing curriculum throughout this school year.
3. Grammar: We are also developing a Grammar skills interactive spiral notebook for writing. This notebook of skills learned will be a part of our writing curriculum throughout this school year. 4. Social Studies: We are studying the sites and symbols of our state. In addition, students will be learning about the location of Texas in the United States, and the climate/landforms/plants and animals that are native to Texas. We will be using the Social Studies Weekly newspaper to learn about Texas History this year. We are also developing a Social Studies skills interactive spiral notebook for Texas History. This notebook of skills learned will be a part of our Social Studies curriculum throughout this school year.
5. Math, Science, and Health are being taught by Mrs. Chedsey this year. Please feel free to contact Mrs. Chedsey if you have any questions regarding the Math/Science/Health curriculm. Mrs. Chedsey's contact information is: firstname.lastname@example.org \; classroom phone number: 512-841-3938.